Your chainsaw is like any other gardening tool – if you don’t take care of it, it’s going to malfunction. If your chainsaw is playing up and won’t cut straight, chances are the blades are dull. It would help if you had a sharpening tool to restore the working edge on the blades.
With the right chainsaw sharpening tool, you can take care of this kind of maintenance yourself. There’s no need to send your chainsaw into the service center every time you want to sharpen the blades. There are various types of chainsaw sharpening tools, and in this review, we’ll look at some top models to add to your tool shed.
Our review of the best chainsaw sharpener tools makes recommendations on the best bench-mounted and grinder-mounting sharpening tools. We’ll also unpack the details around choosing the right tool to match your chainsaw and your sharpening requirements.
- 1 Our Top Picks
- 2 Chainsaw Sharpener Reviews
- 2.1 Oregon Mountable Chain Saw Sharpener
- 2.2 Oregon 520-120 120V Bench Mounted Saw Chain Grinder
- 2.3 Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- 2.4 Timber Tuff CS-BWM Electric Chainsaw Chain Sharpener
- 2.5 YWTR Mini Bench Mount Electric Chainsaw Grinder Sharpener
- 2.6 I-S Import Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- 2.7 Oregon 30846 12-Volt Sure Sharp Chain Saw Sharpener
- 2.8 Husqvarna 653000035 SharpForce Chain Sharpener
- 2.9 Granberg Bar-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener
- 2.10 Stihl 2-in-1 Easy-File Chainsaw Sharpener
- 3 Other Best Selling Options
- 4 Chainsaw Sharpener Buyer’s Guide
- 4.1 What are the Types of Chainsaw Sharpening Tools?
- 4.2 What are the Mounting Options for Chainsaw Sharpeners?
- 4.3 What Do I Need from a Chainsaw Sharpening Tool?
- 4.4 How Do I Maintain My Chainsaw?
- 5 Chainsaw Sharpener FAQs
- 6 Chainsaw Sharpener – The Verdict
Our Top Picks
We scoured dozens of listings looking for the best chainsaw sharpener. Out of all the models, we selected ten for this review. In this section, we look at our top three choices. There’s a sharpening tool to suit any size chainsaw or any budget.
Pick the sharpening tool to suit your needs, and get to work building your firewood stockpile and clearing your garden for the winter.
Best Pick: Oregon Tools MCSSP Mountable Chain Saw Sharpener
- Professional chainsaw chain grinder: Powerful performance with hydraulic assistance. Provides fast, hands-free, automatic vice clamping on the chain
- One-way motor rotation: For greater operator safety. Built in light for better visibility in dim conditions
- Universal sharpener: Sharpens up to .404″ pitch chain. Sharpen almost saw any chain from manufacturers such as Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna, and others
- Heavy duty: Professional chain grinder ideal for large volumes of chain sharpening – such as loggers and arborists, as well as shops that offer chainsaw grinding
- Includes: Grinder, a dressing brick and profile guide, operator instructions plus two grinding wheels (3.2mm & 4.7mm) and a 6.0mm flat profile disc for depth gauge maintenance
This model from Oregon tools wins our award for the best overall chainsaw sharpener. The bench-mount design in this sharpening tool makes it the ideal choice for sharpening any size chainsaw. You get an adjustable sharpening pitch, with a bench-mounted design for durability and stability when sharpening your chainsaw. This kit comes with everything included for sharpening your saw. The adjustable pitch allows multiple angles to suit any blade design, and you get spare grinding pads included with your purchase.
Runner-Up Pick: Oregon 520-120 120V Bench Mounted Saw Chain Grinder
This model from Oregon wins our award for the best premium chainsaw sharpening tool. This model features design and construction with a bench-mounted design for stability. Oregon includes three grinding wheels with this tool for a precision finish on your chainsaw. You get a powerful one-way motor with easy adjustments on the vice and cutting block. This chainsaw tool sharpens chainsaws with a pitch up to .404″, with universal use on all the leading chainsaw brands, including Husqvarna and Stihl.
Budget Pick: Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- Keep your chain in top condition and save money by sharpening your own saw
- Mounts to bench, wall or vise for easy access and stability
- Adjusts to most popular chain designs
- 4200 RPM grinding speed, 60 Hz, 85-watt, plugs into a standard 120-volt wall outlet
- Uses a 4-1/4-Inch x 1/8-Inch grinding wheel with 7/8-Inch arbor
This model wins our award for the best budget chainsaw sharpening tool in this review. You get a multi-functional design with wall, vice, or bench mounting. This tool has a universal fit for all the leading chainsaw brands, and you get a 4,200-rpm grinding speed, with compatibility for all chain designs. This affordable model is a great choice for gardeners on a budget, and you get an easy-plug-and-play operation right out of the box. The ergonomic handle gives you total control over the machine while in use and an anti-vibration design that reduces operator fatigue.
Chainsaw Sharpener Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the top models in this review let’s look at our other choices for the best chainsaw sharpener.
We have models to suit any task, chainsaw, or budget. Choose the right chainsaw sharpener for your tool, and check out our buyer’s guide section for more information on selecting the best chainsaw sharpener.
Oregon Mountable Chain Saw Sharpener
If you’re looking for the best overall chainsaw sharpener, this tool is the best of the bunch. You get an adjusting grinder head, pivoting at a 30degree angle to suit any blade pitch. This tool is universally compatible with all leading chainsaw brands, including Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo.
You get a powerful grinding head, with an LED work light included for accurate sharpening in low-light conditions. This model features spare grinding discs included with your sharpening tool, along with a multi-tool and other accessories included with your purchase.
This chainsaw sharpener offers you excellent control over the process, thanks to the ergonomic handle. Sharpen your chainsaw safely thanks to the clear protection sheath preventing spark in your eyes. Set this model up on your bench, vise, or wall.
- Mountable design suitable for wall or the bench
- Beveling head with spare grinding discs included
- Durable steel design
- Universal compatibility for all chainsaw models
- User-friendly setup
- Ergonomic handle for excellent control
Oregon 520-120 120V Bench Mounted Saw Chain Grinder
This Oregon model wins our award for the best premium chainsaw sharpener in this review. You get universal compatibility, sharpening chains with up to a .404″ pitch. This model is ideal for landscapers and heavy-duty users that need a reliable and accurate sharpening tool.
This model is suitable for professional use, featuring a durable steel body and an adjustable grinding head that bevels 35-degrees. You get accurate, precision sharpening of any chainsaw brand and a bench-mounted design for extra stability when working.
This sharpening tool comes with two grinding wheels, a depth-gauge wheel, a quick template, dressing brick, and owner’s manual included in your purchase. This model features an onboard LED light for working in low-light conditions and a one-way rotating design for enhanced operator safety when sharpening chains.
- Durable steel frame
- Adjustable cutting angle to suit any size chainsaw
- Universally compatible design
- Three grinding wheels included
- Dressing brick and manual included
- A one-way operation for enhanced safety
- Self-centering chain vice
- Custom handle positioning
Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
Homeowners looking for the best budget model in this review will get value out of the Buffalo Tools ECSS model. This electric chainsaw sharpener works on your standard 110-volt circuit, with its powerful motor giving you operating speeds up the 4,200-rpm.
The Buffalo Tools ECSS mounts to the wall or your bench for stable, sturdy use when sharpening your tools. This model comes with an ergonomic handle to reduce operator fatigue and vibration in use. There are no extra grinding discs included with this model, but it has an affordable price tag that most homeowners will find exciting.
This electric chainsaw sharpening tool comes with an adjustable grinding head tilting to 30-degrees. You get a universal fit to most chains from leading brands and a fast, efficient, and effective sharpening of your chain.
- Compact and lightweight design
- Affordable and effective
- Universally compatible with many chainsaw brands
- Anti-vibration handle design
- 4,200-rpm mas cutting speed
Timber Tuff CS-BWM Electric Chainsaw Chain Sharpener
This model is a great choice for the professional sharpening of your chainsaw. You get a setup that’s suitable for landscapers and heavy-users. This model features a steel frame for bench or wall mounting and sturdy operation.
The onboard LED work light makes it easy to sharpen your chains in low-light conditions, and you get an easy-to-read adjustment guide for sharpening any leading brand. This model includes a beveling grinding head, suitable for use on any pitch, with a powerful 5,800-rpm sharpening action.
The Timber Tuff CS-BWM electric chainsaw sharpener is a top choice, with 1/8″, 3/16″, and ¼” grinding discs included with your purchase. You get safety features like overload protection and compatibility with ¼” to ¾” chains. This model includes a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Durable steel chassis
- Clear safety wheel cover
- Adjustable vice for universal compatibility
- 15-watt LED work light
- Sharpens ¼” to ¾” chains
- 5,800-rpm max speed
- Ergonomic handle to reduce operator fatigue
YWTR Mini Bench Mount Electric Chainsaw Grinder Sharpener
Homeowners looking for a compact and easy-to-use model will love the YWTR mini electric chainsaw grinder. This model features a compact housing design that’s lightweight and easy to move around the workshop.
The molded handle absorbs vibration during operation, and the ergonomic design reduces operator fatigue. This model’s most interesting feature is the automatic brake lever for precision control over the two operating speeds. You get compatibility with all the leading brands, including Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo.
This chainsaw sharpening tool offers fast and efficient sharpening of any chain pitch, with universal compatibility. While homeowners will get value out of this machine, it’s not a suitable choice for heavy-duty users.
- Compatible with Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo chainsaw brands
- Brake design for total control when sharpening
- Bench-mount design
- Adjustable grinding head
- Ergonomic handle reduces vibration
- Suitable for heavy-duty use
- Variable speed control
I-S Import Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
Here’s another great choice for your chainsaw sharpening tool. This model comes with a multi-functional mounting design suitable for setup on the bench, wall, or the vise. This electric model features powerful operation, reaching sharpening speeds up to 4,200-rpm.
You get a precision sharpening effect from the beveling grinder head, with a chain vise adjusting to any angle for universal compatibility with any chainsaw brand. You get an adjustable height and scale positioning with this model, including chain rotation rollers to advance the links.
You get overload protection with this model, as well as a clear safety cover for the grinding disc. This model includes 4-1/4″ and 1/8″ grinding wheels for compatibility with any chainsaw pitch. This model has one of the most convenient setups in this review, reducing operator frustration.
- Chain rotation rollers to speed up setup times
- Precision adjustment for a professional finish
- Adjustable pitch, scale positioning, and height
- Adjustable chain vise for all chainsaw brands
- Multiple mounting options for bench, wall, and vise
- 4,200 RPM grinding disc speed
Oregon 30846 12-Volt Sure Sharp Chain Saw Sharpener
If you’re out in the woods cutting down lumber for a living, you need a reliable chainsaw with sharp teeth. If the teeth dull, you’re going to have a hassle with cutting anything. Keeping your blades sharp is paramount for any contractor, lumberjack, or landscaper.
This 12-volt chainsaw sharpening tool hooks up to any 12-volt battery, offering powerful sharpening action for any chainsaw. This tool is compatible with all leading chainsaw brands, and it’s suitable for sharpening any pitch.
You get a portable and lightweight chainsaw sharpening tool you can take to any job site. Never deal with a dull blade again, and keep this sharpener in your toolbox or the glove compartment of your truck for easy access.
You get two sharpening stones included in the kit, as well as a quick-adjustment guide for sharpening your chainsaw teeth to perfection.
- Suitable for sharpening on site
- A good choice for landscapers
- Portable and lightweight
- High-impact plastic housing
- Includes three sharpening stones
- 12-volt design hooks up to your car battery
Husqvarna 653000035 SharpForce Chain Sharpener
This Husqvarna model offers dual-action, providing use as a depth gauge and cutting tool. This model is a top choice if you’re a professional looking for a custom finish on your chainsaw. You get a powerful sharpening action that suitable for any size chainsaw from any brand.
This chainsaw file features excellent quality, with a durable design and service life. The lightweight, portable design of this sharpening tool makes it suitable to carry around to the job site. This tool requires a professional operator, and it’s not the best choice for newbies learning to sharpen their chain.
However, professional users will find the tool provides smooth user operation with excellent results. This file provides your chainsaw with an accurate, precision finish that’s razor-sharp.
- Exceptionally portable and lightweight design
- Budget-friendly sharpening tool
- Precise chainsaw sharpening
- Durable design for long service life
- Fast, effective saw sharpening
Granberg Bar-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener
This top-quality chainsaw sharpening tool features design by Elof Granberg. The tool’s design is still the same some 35-years later, and it’s one of the best professional chainsaw sharpening tools available.
You get an all-steel design for rugged use around the job site and compatibility with all leading brands. The custom setup on this model allows the easy sharpening of any size chainsaw and any pitch.
You get easy-to-read dials and gauges, along with thick sidewalls for stable sharpening. This model includes versatile sharpening of pitches between 10-degrees to 75-degrees. However, it’s not a great choice for newbies unless you have someone to instruct you on how to use the tool.
The blades for this model sell separately; it’s a reasonably expensive option for a manual tool. However, you get top-quality design and construction for a chainsaw sharpening tool that lasts a lifetime.
- Sharpens all chain pitches
- Universally compatible with all chainsaws
- Precision matching with manufacturers pitch
- Precision depth-gauge
- Portable and lightweight
- All-metal construction
Stihl 2-in-1 Easy-File Chainsaw Sharpener
This 2-in-1 chainsaw sharpening tool comes with functionality for measuring depth and sharpening. This professional model comes with compatibility for 1/4″ P, 3/8″ P, .325″, 3/8″, and .404″ chains, with two round files, a flat-file, file holders, and a filing guide.
You get everything you need for fast, efficient, and effective sharpening of your saw chain. This model is a great choice for lumberjacks and landscapers requiring the best equipment. You get a premium design producing exceptional sharpening results.
This Stihl chainsaw sharpening tool is compatible with all leading brands and chainsaw sizes. However, it would help if you had professional assistance when learning how to use this tool. Incorrect sharpening techniques may damage your saw chain, resulting in a costly replacement.
- Premium manufacturer
- Portable and lightweight design
- Dual-function design
- Good choice for heavy-duty use
- Compatible with 1/4″ P, 3/8″ P, .325″, 3/8″, and .404″ saw chains
- Includes two round-files, one flat-file, and file holder
Other Best Selling Options
- Bench or wall mounted Professional grinder: Perfect for semi-professional and home users who regularly saw wood
- Save time & money: Sharpen your own chainsaw chains. Grinder easily mounts to a bench or wall with two included bolts – ideal for a workshop or garage
- Universal sharpener: Sharpens up to .404” pitch chain. Sharpen almost saw any chain from manufacturers such as Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna, and others
- One-way motor rotation: Provides greater operator safety and comes with a manual chain clamping vice
- Includes: Grinder, a dressing brick and profile guide, operator instructions plus two grinding wheels (3.2mm & 4.7mm) and a 6.0mm flat profile disc for depth gauge maintenance
- General: Suitable for most 14″ / 16″ / 18″ / 20″ chains on the market. (Note: not compatible with ECHO 16 chain saw) Sharpening chain saw is designed with two installation methods to adapt to different types of different hole chains including most Single hole, double hole, no hole chains.
- Easy to Install: It is suitable for different types of different hole chains. The chain saw sharpener are designed with 2 holes for fixed sharpening, one hole fixed and the other moving back and forth, very flexible. Check in advance your chainsaw blade whether have two holes. If your saw blade is a single hole, you can remove the sliding rivet that can be moved back and forth, then install and use it. After about 3-5 seconds, your chain saw will become sharp.
- Premium Quality Materials: Chainsaw sharpener is made of high-quality plastic & durable whetstone, lightweight and portable. It is the most practical chain saw sharpener and best Christmas gift for your father or husband to save time and increase productivity.
- Easy to Use: Your hands don’t need to touch the whetstone, Just attach the chainsaw on the two holes of the sharpener. Then close and lock the sharpener. Finally, gengly squeeze the chainsaw. Your chain saw will become sharp after 3-5 seconds.The saw buddies chainsaw sharpener protect your hands from harm. Keep oil on the chain and rails to reduce friction and extend service life.
- Package Include: 1x chainsaw chain sharpener comes with 4 extra whetstone. Please notice: the whetstone is detachable. In case the whetstone is loose after opening the package, please don’t worry, this is normal, very easy for you to re-install it.
- All the tools needed to keep your saw chain sharp and efficient.
- Contains (1) 5/32” Round Saw Chain File, (1) 3/16” Round Saw Chain File, (1) 7/32” Round Saw Chain File, (1) 6” Flat File, (1) File Guide, (1) Universal File Handle and instruction sheet.
- Rolled pouch with inner pockets and hook & loop closure
- Instruction sheet is inserted in to the handle pocket for safe keeping and easy access when needed.
- CONVENIENCE – Katzco complete chainsaw file kit contains every field tool you could possibly need to get your chainsaw back into its optimal condition. The roll-up tool pouch keeps everything you need in one location and allows for great portability so you can bring it wherever and whenever needed
- VARIETY – This kit comes with a range of different files to meet any of your chainsaw sharpening needs. The premium fine tooth flat and round files is made for Fast filing and cutting. The round files come in the sizes of: 5/32”, 3/16”, and 7/32”. The hardwood handle can attach to any of the files and the depth-gauge tool as well and can be used on any chainsaw.
- QUALITY – These fine-tooth chainsaw files with the stained and finished wood handle allows for comfortable grip when using and will keep the chain sharp to allow for faster, safer work so you can get the most out of your chainsaw.
- GETS THE JOB DONE – AFFORDABLE other chainsaw sharpening kits don’t include as many accessories or are made of cheap material and result in poorer performance. However, these tools will never fail you and will get the job done for you each and every time. Not only is the Katzco chainsaw sharpening kit convenient and affordable, but it does the same job as more expensive kits if not better.
- SET OF 8 IN ONE PACK – Set Includes as Following – (1) 3/8” Hardwood stain & finish handle – (1) 6” Flat fine tooth file – (1) Filing guide – (1) Tool Pouch – (1) Depth-gauge tool – and three(3) round fine tooth files in the following sizes: 5/32”, 3/16”, and 7/32”
- Sturdy Aluminum Material: This kind of chainsaw sharpener is made of high-quality aluminum material, which gives it the qualities of rust-resistant and scratch-proof. Moreover, the aluminum structure improves its strength and performance.
- Working Light & Protection: There is a working light mounted on the chain sharpener chainsaw for lighting while you are using it in a dark place. The slid-resistant handle also helps hold the machine tightly for protection.
- 3000 Rpm Motor: The motor of the chainsaw chain sharpener is a commercial motor of 3000 RPM. It will make sure that your chains will not be burned or soften mistakenly.
- Tilting Vise & Grinding Wheels: The tilting vise on the chainsaw sharpeners are suitable for semi-chisel & chisel style cutters. And the 5.5″ large grinding wheels can help you sharpen the chain more efficiently.
- Wide Application: The chainsaw electric sharpener is widely used in your house or your working fields to polish and sharpen your items. The angle can be adjusted for your needs. It is applicable for chains of 1/4″, 0.325″, 3/8″, and 0.404″ pitch.
Chainsaw Sharpener Buyer’s Guide
After reading through the best chainsaw sharpener reviews, you probably have your eye on a few models for your saw. However, it’s challenging to settle on a final model, especially if you don’t know what to look for in the tool.
This section will look at the technical aspects of chainsaw sharpeners and unpack the specifics around the models in this review. Whether you need a chainsaw sharpener for your workshop or the job site, there’s a model to suit your needs.
What are the Types of Chainsaw Sharpening Tools?
- Electric – These models typically mount to your workbench, the wall, or a vise. They offer a stable base for sharpening your saw, with an electric cutting head featuring a grinding wheel. The griding wheel offers you an angular setup for honing any pitch of saw chain. The chain vise lets you customize your setup for the perfect sharpening angle.
- Manual Filing – A manual saw chain file locks against the sides of your chainsaw, letting you file the teeth sharp manually. Manually filing your teeth requires instruction on how to use the tool properly. If you’re a beginner, you want to avoid using manual tools, if possible. Manually filing them requires expertise in the task. If you set the device up incorrectly, it results in damage to the saw teeth.
- Manual Sharpeners – This cutting tool clamps over the chain bar, allowing you to file the teeth. You turn a manual handle to sharpen the teeth. This model is like a manual version of the electric model and doesn’t require the same user experience as a file.
- Dremel Attachments – The Dremel tool is a popular piece of kit in workshops around the world. Some chainsaw sharpeners feature Dremel compatibility for easy setup and use when sharpening smaller chains.
- Bar-Mounted – This model clamps to the saw bar, featuring a series of adjustment knobs that provide accurate, specific filing of your saw chain. This model requires manual operation and is suitable for intermediate or advanced users.
What are the Mounting Options for Chainsaw Sharpeners?
When selecting your chainsaw sharpener, you have the option of choosing your setup. Here are the three most common setups for chainsaw sharpening tools.
- Wall-Mounted – The tool mounts to a wall bracket, allowing you to customize the working height.
- Bench-Mounted – The tool mounts to your workbench for a stable, firm base.
- Vise Mounted – The tool mounts into your vise, allowing a firm grip over the machine while in use.
What Do I Need from a Chainsaw Sharpening Tool?
When selecting your chainsaw sharpening tool, look for the following features relating to your chainsaw and your sharpening needs.
The pitch is the term for the distance between the chain links. Manufacturers measure this distance in inches, with an arrangement from smallest to largest. Saw chains feature design and construction with up to five pitches – ¼”, .325″, full-profile or low-profile 3/8″, and heavy-duty .404″.
If you have no idea what type of chainsaw you have, you probably own one of the more popular sizes, such as the 3/8″ low profile. Most universal sharpening tools work with this pitch. If you want to check on your chainsaw pitch, look for a marking on the frame. The manufacturer should leave it somewhere on the machine for easy reference.
Manual or Hydraulic Assist
Some of the latest models feature a hydraulic assist for the sharpening process. This feature locks the chain into place every time you lower the grinding head.
Automated Features – Some chainsaw sharpening tools feature automated operation. You feed the chain into the machine, key in your settings, and let the tool do the rest. The result is a fast and accurate sharpening process that’s suitable for a wide range of chainsaws.
If you want the best professional finish, look for models offering digital readouts. These machines allow the operator to key in the correct pitch for the cutting links. You also have the option of choosing your cutting angle to match your saw. Digital readouts offer accurate and precise sharpening of your chainsaw.
Some models come with built-in LED lights. This feature helps you with your grinding and sharpening tasks in low-light conditions. The bright LED light reduces accidents in the workshop, improving safety around the machine’s use.
The grinding wheel is the meat of the machine responsible for sharpening the saw teeth. You get stones available in different sizes and grits to suit all chainsaw models. They’re relativity inexpensive and last for years. Make sure the grinding wheel corresponds to the correct pitch before you start sharpening.
The grinding wheel gauge is a tiny metal or plastic bar that features notches to check the grinding wheel width. This tool lets you check if you’re using the right grinding head for your saw chain. Cutting with the wrong grinding wheel size results in an incorrect finish and the premature failure or dulling of the saw teeth and chain.
The dressing stone is a critical part of the machine. It prevents debris from building on the grinding wheel during operation. If debris gets into the machine and onto the chainsaw teeth, it results in an improper finish resulting in malfunctions during use.
Adjustable Chain Vise
In electric models, you’ll run the chain through a vise to stabilize it during the cutting process. Make sure this vise offers a wide range-of-motion.
Handles and Grips
If you’re purchasing an electric model, make sure you look at the handle and grip. You want a machine offering total control over the grinding head during operation. The handle should feature an ergonomic design that reduces vibration from the device.
Most benchtop chainsaw sharpening tools feature steel or cast bodies that give the device extra weight. The additional weight provides added stability to the sharpening process when using the tool.
How Do I Maintain My Chainsaw?
When the winter comes around, and you finish with sawing for the winter, it’s time for some basic saw maintenance.
Make sure you oil the chain and check the tensioner. Store the saw and cover the blades to prevent dulling. We recommend sharpening the saw before you store it to avoid the hassle next spring.
If you maintain your chainsaw properly, the chain should last for years, and you’ll never have any issues with the machine.
However, if you don’t have the time to maintain the chainsaw or don’t know what you’re doing, take it to a service center. A service center might cost you a few dollars. But you’ll ensure you get your machine back in proper working order.
If you find yourself using your chainsaw more often these days, a manual filing sharpening tool could be the better choice. Study a few YouTube videos to learn the correct technique, and you’ll have the skills you need to sharpen your chainsaw at any job site.
Chainsaw Sharpener FAQs
How do I know if my chainsaw needs replacing?
Some of the typical problems associated with a dull chain include the following.
- Difficulty in positioning the saw
- The chainsaw stops pulling into the wood
- The saw motor starts smoking, even with the right tension on the chain
- You produce a crooked cut
- The saw chain has damaged or missing teeth
How long does the chain on my chainsaw last?
Most chainsaw chains last around 5-years. However, you’ll need to ensure you keep the blades sharp and well-maintained to receive the best service life from the chain. With the right maintenance and care, your chainsaw chain could last for a decade or longer.
Why Is my chainsaw dulling so fast?
If your chainsaw is dulling quickly after sharpening, it’s because you’re using the wrong cutting angle. The rakers might be too far down in a position that wears out the teeth fast. Cutting dirty wood or touching the saw’s tip to the ground in use will also dull the blade. A chainsaw sharpening tool is a handy accessory to keep around, especially if you’re far away from your workshop.
Where can I buy the best chainsaw sharpener?
If you’re looking to buy the tool online, we recommend visiting Amazon for your purchase. With the best prices and a comprehensive range, Amazon offers fast, free shipping for all Prime members. You get buyer protection on your order, as well as hassle-free returns.
Chainsaw Sharpener – The Verdict
By now, you should have an idea of the best chainsaw sharpener to suit your chainsaw model and your sharpening requirements. Whether you want a benchtop model for your workshop or a portable unit you can keep in your truck – there’s a model in this review to suit your needs.
If you’re having trouble settling on the right chainsaw sharpening tool, why not go with one of our top picks?
The Buffalo Tools MCSSP Mountable Chain Saw Sharpener is our choice for the best overall chainsaw sharpener. This model includes a beveling grinding head, allowing for a customized setup of the tool to suit any chainsaw. This model is universally compatible with leading brands like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo. You get a reliable, high-powered machine, with three grinding wheels included with your purchase.
Homeowners and professionals looking for the best equipment with get the best value out of the Oregon 520-120 120V Bench Mounted Saw Chain Grinder. This chainsaw sharpening tool features compatibility with all the leading brands. You get a custom setup that caters to any pitch and any saw. This model features a beveling grinding head and precision sharpening of your saw chain.
The Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener is a great choice for a compact and portable chainsaw sharpener. This model features a lightweight design that clamps to your workbench. The beveled grinding head and adjustable chainlike make it suitable for sharpening a wide range of saws. The affordable price tag makes it the best value buy in this review.