CertainTeed is currently one of the most popular brands of roofing shingles in the United States. From residential homeowners to roofing professionals, many people agree that this brand’s shingle quality is at or near the top of all fiberglass brands. It’s best described as a fiberglass-reinforced mat that’s used as a base for asphalt composition shingle.
CertainTeed also boasts a wide selection of asphalt shingle products, including luxury shingles, mid-grade architectural or dimensional shingles, basic 3-tab, and strip shingles. One of the most used shingle products by CertainTeed is its Landmark PROS line. This traditional architectural shingle is designed to appear fuller and more dimensional than regular 3-tab. Their Grand Manor and Presidential Shake products are perfect examples of roofing shingles that have enhanced depth and a different appearance.
At Legacy Service, we offer a variety of asphalt shingle brands for roofing installation and replacement services. CertainTeed is one of our more popular options among homeowners, and for good reason.
In this article, we’ll discuss a full CertainTeed shingles review, from the pros and the cons to the average prices of the materials and installation and whether they’re the right choice for your home. If you’re looking for a free estimate for roof replacement, look no further than our team. Give us a call at 215-798-9790 to schedule your appointment today.
- 1 What are CertainTeed Shingles?
- 2 Why Homeowners like CertainTeed Shingles (Pros)
- 3 Problems with CertainTeed Shingles (Cons)
- 4 CertainTeed Shingles Prices: Materials and Installation
- 5 CertainTeed Shingle Designs
- 6 What Do Roofers Think About CertainTeed Shingles?
- 7 Are CertainTeed Shingles the Right Choice for Your Home?
- 8 CertainTeed Roofing Shingles: Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Get Started With Your CertainTeed Shingle Roof Replacement Today!
What are CertainTeed Shingles?
CertainTeed was founded in 1904 and has been known as the nation’s premier asphalt shingle brand for years. They are currently operating more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada.
So, what differentiates CertainTeed roofing shingles from other brands?
For starters, CertainTeed is a heavyweight brand, so its shingles will contain more asphalt than most other brands. They typically weigh more than 200 lbs per square, and most of them will weigh between 250-480 lbs per square. Other brands average between 160-280 lbs per square. Although this can make CertainTeed more expensive than other types, it’s reassuring to know that it makes the shingles more durable and impact-resistant as well.
If you’re looking for a CertainTeed Landmark shingle review, then you’ve come to the right place. Landmark’s are designed to look like cedar shakes. They’re available in a wide array of colors, which will complement any siding, stucco, and trim. Their dual-layered construction design offers extra protection from the elements.
Schedule a free consultation for roofing replacement or installation by getting in touch with our team today: https://ireview365.com/contact/
Why Homeowners like CertainTeed Shingles (Pros)
As a homeowner, you’re probably wondering why people like CertainTeed shingles and whether you should get them yourself.
So, are Landmark shingles good? Yes, of course! Let’s take a look at the most significant advantages of Certainteed shingles:
- Their selection of luxury shingles – Certainteed is known to have one of the best selections of luxury shingles in the roofing industry. As the top manufacturer of super-premium asphalt, their luxury lines include Arcadia Shake, Belmont, Carriage House, Grand Manor, and Presidential Shake.
- Their three-layer shingles – Three-layer, or Triple-Laminate, are super-premium lines of shingles known for durability, longevity, and visual dimensionality. The added layer provides them with a more elevated profile, which looks more like a wood shingle or shake. Versions include Landmark TL, Landmark Solaris TL, Presidential Shake, and Presidential Solaris TL.
- Their 3-tab and mid-grade dimensional shingle options – If you’re interested in 3-tab, you’ll be pleased to know that there are plenty of color options. The XT 25 is available in almost 30 colors and the XT 30 is available in 9 colors. Landmark, a homeowner favorite, is available in over 30 colors.
- Their durability – As one of the heaviest brands of shingles, CertainTeed is known for its durability. Most of their lines have a Class A fire rating, which is the top rating for asphalt roofing materials.
- Their warranties – CertainTeed offers a 5-Star extended warranty, which covers workmanship for the entire life of the shingles. Also, if you decide to sell your home, be sure to let buyers know that the warranty will remain in effect. Remember that it’s only transferable once, though.
If you think you may want Landmark designer shingles on your home, whether you want roof replacement or installation, contact us today.
Problems with CertainTeed Shingles (Cons)
Like just about everything else in this cruel world, CertainTeed shingles aren’t perfect. They have their own disadvantages that you should know about before choosing them for your home. The cons include:
- More expensive – Certainteed tends to be more expensive in each of the categories (3-tab, dimensional, and luxury). It’s good to know that its quality and durability are among the best.
- The extended warranty is pricey – Extended coverage will cost you more in two ways. The first is that you have to use all CertainTeed materials, and their costs tend to be higher than other brands. The second is that the extended warranty can add up to 15% of the cost.
CertainTeed Shingles Prices: Materials and Installation
On average, CertainTeed products are going to cost more than products from other brands, like GAF. The good news is that they tend to be more durable and long-lasting. Let’s take a look at the shingle prices for the materials and installation of different Certainteed products, including but not limited to CertainTeed Landmark shingles pricing. Here are some of their most popular lines and their price per square:
- 3-Tab shingles
- XT 25: $70-$85
- XT 30 IT: $65-$80
- Affordable dimensional
- Popular dimensional
- Premium dimensional
- Landmark Premium: $150-$160
- Independence shingles: $165-$180
- Popular luxury
- Grand Manor: $220-$245
- Highland Slate shingles: $150-$165
- Other costs for labor and materials
- Labor charges for installation: $130-$240 per square
- Underlayment, starter strip and nails, ridge vent, ridge and hip shingles: $12-22 per square
If you’re interested in installing CertainTeed shingles on your home, get in touch with our team to schedule a free consultation for roof installation or replacement. We provide service for homeowners throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.
CertainTeed Shingle Designs
Once you decide you’d like to use CertainTeed shingles for your roof, the decisions don’t stop there. In fact, they’ve just begun. The next step for you to take is to choose the shingle design that would be best for your home.
Different shingle styles from Certainteed include:
- Arcadia Shake™
- Carriage House®
- Grand Manor®
- Landmark® TL
- Landmark® Pro
- Landmark® Premium
- Landmark Solaris®
- Landmark Solaris® Gold
- Landmark® IR
- Presidential Shake®
- Presidential Shake® TL
- Presidential Solaris® Gold
- Presidential Shake® IR
- XT™ 30 IR
- XT™ 25
- CT™ 20
During your free consultation for roofing installation or replacement with one of our technicians, they’ll show you how the styles look and will help you select the right one for your home that matches your tastes and preferences. Our techs will provide you with reviews on all kinds of Certainteed shingles.
What Do Roofers Think About CertainTeed Shingles?
Here’s why roofing contractors like to install CertainTeed shingles on people’s homes:
- The CertainTeed Integrity Roof System – For your roof to be of the highest quality, all parts of the system must be installed correctly. To ensure that’s the case, CertainTeed develops products for every layer of the roof, from the deck to the ridge cap shingles. They include:
- Underlayment – Also called roofing paper or tar paper, underlayment is installed directly on the wood roof deck. CertainTeed provides two options: WinterGuard and DiamondDeck. WinterGuard is a waterproof barrier and offers extra protection for the winter elements. DiamondDeck is a synthetic water-resistant barrier.
- Starter shingles – These flat shingles provide an extra layer of protection against ice and wind-driven rain. They’re installed along the eaves.
- Shingles – This next layer consists of the CertainTeed shingles you’ve chosen.
- Ridge vent – A roof’s durability must allow heat and moisture to escape through a vent in the attic. Gaps are left in the roof deck at the peaks, which are covered by vents.
- Ridge and hip shingles – These types of shingles cover the vents as well as roof ridges and hips. Various lines provide you with options for matching your shingles.
- Excellent warranties – 15 of CertainTeed’s 19 lines are backed with a lifetime warranty, which now ranks with GAF’s warranty among the best.
Are CertainTeed Shingles the Right Choice for Your Home?
Now that you know the pros and cons, the average prices of the materials and installation, and have an idea of the different designs, it’s time to see if CertainTeed shingles are right for your home.
Let’s take a look at another CertainTeed Landmark shingles review. Here’s when these premium shingles are an ideal choice for you:
- CertainTeed should be one of your top brand choices if you’d like a premium shingle product, and you don’t have any plans to move out.
- If you live in an upscale neighborhood, CertainTeed should be one of your top choices even if you do plan to move out in the near future. Premium shingles and excellent quality are expected for homes in these types of neighborhoods.
- You care about having a warranty with fewer loopholes.
So, let’s say you’ve chosen CertainTeed as your shingle brand. Congratulations! Now what?
- Do your research when selecting a roofing contractor. Make sure the roof is installed by experienced professionals with a record of excellence and satisfied customers.
- Once you’ve narrowed your list of potential roofers, check their BBB rating and online reviews.
Have an idea whether you want CertainTeed shingles for your roof yet? If you have more questions, check out the ones that we’re most frequently asked in the section below.
CertainTeed Roofing Shingles: Frequently Asked Questions
In the sections above, we have an entire CertainTeed Landmark shingles review, but you might have a few more questions before you make your decision. We’ve taken some of the questions that customers most frequently ask us about this brand and answered them below.
If you have more questions after that, please contact us to schedule a free consultation for a roof installation or replacement. One of our technicians will come to you to help you decide what you want and need for your home and will provide you with a free estimate. We serve homeowners throughout southeastern PA, NJ, and DE. Continue reading to learn more:
Are CertainTeed shingles any good?
CertainTeed shingles are one of the best brands out there for homeowners looking for a beautiful and durable roof. A general agreement among those in the roofing industry is that this brand’s shingle quality is superior to most other fiberglass shingle brands. In fact, they sell 11 shingle lines that have premium impact warranties, and all of them have Class 4 impact resistance, which is the highest rating.
CertainTeed may be heavier and more expensive than other brands, but that’s because they’re also more durable and impact resistant. It’s recommended that you consult with a roofing professional before you make any choices.
How long do CertainTeed shingles last?
A variety of factors help determine how long CertainTeed will last. On average, CertainTeed Landmark shingles are designed to last for about 30 years if they’re installed correctly and taken care of throughout the years. If you choose Landmark Premium shingles, they can last up to 50 years with the proper installation and maintenance.
If you’re willing to pay more upfront by choosing CertainTeed, you can rest assured that they will last you for decades to come. Other brands of asphalt shingles are expected to last about 15-25 years on average.
What class are CertainTeed landmark shingles?
In terms of impact resistance, CertainTeed boasts a Class 4 rating, which is the highest possible rating. This heavyweight brand’s shingles typically contain more asphalt than most others. This helps keep shingles in place during strong storms and high winds. All of its lines also use granules with algae-fighting copper.
In terms of fire rating, most lines of CertainTeed shingles have a Class A fire rating, which is the top rating for asphalt roofing. The brand also recently introduced FireHalt dimensional shingles and FireScreen 3-tab, which offers enhanced protection from fire.
Get Started With Your CertainTeed Shingle Roof Replacement Today!
We hope that this CertainTeed Landmark shingles review has helped you decide whether you want to continue with this brand or consider others instead. CertainTeed provides you with plenty of options when it comes to the quality and appearance of asphalt shingles. The brand also boasts the highest ratings when it comes to impact resistance and fire resistance. They may be expensive, but depending on your preferences, they may be worth it in the long run.
At Legacy Service, we provide home exterior services to homeowners throughout southeastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. Whether you’re in need of a roof replacement or siding installation, we’ve got you covered (both literally and figuratively). Get started with your CertainTeed shingle roof replacement today by getting in contact with our team of experts. Call us at 215-798-9790 to schedule a free estimate.
Posted on Feb 26, 2021 in Roof